Monday, March 16, 2015

Using Memes to Review

Last semester, I tried a different approach to reviewing before a test.  I found a bunch of blank memes and had the students use characters and texts to provide the phrase that would go on the memes.

For example, I gave this image:

And the following:
CHARACTER: The Council    TEXT: Anthem    MEME: One does not simply…

The students each got a sticky note and had to complete the meme using the information.  I used about five different memes in each class and, because I teach four different sections, I was able to use different memes with each class.  We had read three different texts in this particular unit, so there was a lot to choose from in terms of characters from the texts.

Once the students wrote on each separate sticky, I hung up the pictures and had the students place their individual sticky notes under the corresponding image.  Finally, each student got a highlighter and, for each meme, they got to place a tally mark on the sticky note they felt best showed information from the text.

For example, the winning response for the image above was:  One does not simply create a light bulb.  We just got through figuring out the candles!  I then made a nice poster for each winning response and had them up in the room for a few weeks.

The students got to review the texts and characters, synthesize information from the texts, evaluate the best answers, and had fun playing around with memes.


No comments:

Post a Comment